Return To Blog
Let's Get a Rally Going!
June 30, 2019
Wimbledon is Here!
We are so excited to see who excels on the grass.
Check out these 10 Fun Facts
1. The Grass is Always Greener - Wimbledon is one of four tennis Grand Slam events held each year. These tournaments are considered the most important competitions of the tennis season. Wimbledon is the only Grand Slam event to be played on grass courts. The grass is tended to year-round. And during the event, it’s cut to a height of exactly 8 mm.
2. It Goes Way Back - The first Wimbledon championship took place in 1877, making it the oldest tennis tournament in the world. Men’s Singles was the only event played that year. Ladies’ Singles and Men’s Doubles events came on the scene in 1884. And, in 1913, the Ladies’ Doubles and Mixed Doubles events were added to the tournament.
3. Strict Dress Code - Wimbledon rules state that all players must be dressed almost entirely in white. Umpires can ask a player to change if they don’t meet the dress code. For instance, in 2013, Wimbledon champ Roger Federer was told to switch his shoes for his next match because they had orange soles. The rule came about to avoid showing sweat stains and white did the trick!
4. It’s All About the Ball - During the tournament, 54, 250 tennis balls are used. The balls are replaced after every seven to nine games to make sure they’re in perfect shape throughout the match. Those not in use are even stored in a refrigerated container to keep them in tip-top condition. Interestingly, Wimbledon once used white tennis balls. But they were replaced with yellow balls in 1986 to make them more visible to TV cameras.
5. On the Job - About 250 ball boys and girls - known as BBGs - have the tough job of keeping track of all those fast-moving tennis balls. Months before the tournament, BBGs go through intense training sessions to prepare for Wimbledon.
6. We Are the Champions - The record for the most Wimbledon titles in Ladies’ Singles belongs to retired Czech and American player Martina Navratilova with nine victories. In Men’s Singles, the record for most titles is shared by William Renshaw, Pete Sampras, and Roger Federer, who each won the event seven times.
7. Bring on the Trophy - In 2014, the Men’s and Ladies’ Singles Champions each took home a prize of about $3 million. Aside from cash winnings, champs are also presented with a trophy. The Ladies’ winner is awarded a round platter called a salver that was made in 1864. And the Men’s champion receives a golden cup that dates back to 1887. Neither winner keeps the trophy. They remain on display at the All England Club’s museum. But winners do go home with a small replica of the trophy.
8. Are You Tired Yet? - The longest match ever played at Wimbledon took place at the 2010 tournament. John Isner of the United States defeated French player Nicolas Mahut in a match that lasted 11 hours and five minutes and was played over the course of three days.
9. Look Out! - The record for fastest men’s serve at Wimbledon belongs to US player Taylor Dent, whose ball clocked in at 238 kph. And American Venus Williams holds the record for the fastest women’s serve after smashing a tennis ball about 205 kph.
10. An Earsplitting Sound - Some tennis players let out a loud grunt on the court while hitting the ball. The loudest known grunt during Wimbledon came from Russia’s Maria Sharapova in 2009. It reached about 105 decibels - the equivalent of standing beside an accelerating motorcycle!
5 Ways to Save $$ @Game-Set-Match, Inc.!
1. Shop our discounted racquet wall if you are looking to save some money. Let our staff speak with you about your game and suggest a racquet that fits for less!
2. We are currently hosting 30-60% Babolat clothing at our Littleton store but will be spreading it across all 3 stores starting this Tuesday, July 2! Always check our sale racks & shop for your Wimbledon whites, your red, white & blues & all the colors of the world that will help you win your matches!
3. Redeeming your Five Stars Rewards is a great way to save on all items in the store. Have you downloaded the Five Stars app? You can keep track of your points & rewards, change the way you receive notifications, check out nearby store discounts in the Five Stars network & know real-time flash sales & specials. Be sure to enter your cell phone # to receive text notifications on Game-Set-Match, Inc. discounts! TEXT 'Y" to 578277 to register. Go into your notification settings to select how you'd like to hear from us.
4. Trade-in your old frame for a new frame & we'll give you a $25 credit!
5. Demo up to 6 racquets through our demo program & we'll give you a $30 credit!
We are always on the lookout for opportunities to get you on the court.
World Team Tennis is FUN!
Click the photo below to register to play!
Exchange & Return Policy: NO RETURNS OR EXCHANGES ON SALE ITEMS.
Game-Set-Match, Inc. is your racquet sports one-stop shop!
Get on the Court!
Here at Game-Set-Match, Inc., we take pride in our customer service and selection. That's why we're happy to speak with you about any questions or concerns you may have.
Game-Set-Match, Inc. | Centennial, Denver, Littleton